Have you ever gone to plug something in and, the second the plug hits the outlet, an electric spark flies out of the wall? A sparking outlet is not something to brush off, especially if it keeps happening more than once. Several things can cause your outlets to spark, such as:
Since the time you were old enough to understand what electricity was, you’ve been told that water and electricity don’t mix. If there is any remnant of moisture on your plug for your electrical socket, the outlet will likely spark. Make sure to never use electronics near water and check them from moisture before plugging them in.
If it’s been a while since you’ve updated or replaced your home’s electrical circuits, your wiring could be loose, causing your outlets to spark. It’s important you update your circuits every few decades to account for changes in electrical need and keep your home safe.
If too much power is flowing to an outlet or it’s overheated, it could short circuit and spark when you try to plug something into it. If this happens once, it’s not that big of a deal. But if you keep experiencing short circuits, you should have your electrical system looked at by a professional.
Bad Electrical Work
If you did your home’s electrical work on your own or you hired a shoddy electrician to do the job, sparking outlets could be the least of your problems. Electrical work should only ever be done by a professional in order to keep your home and family safe.
At Ace Solves It All, we are happy to take care of all of your electrical service needs. We offer comprehensive solutions and products for the home, including wiring, lighting, circuit breakers, surge protectors, and smoke detectors.