When it comes to clean up, your garbage disposal proves to be a serious MVP. But no players can stay strong if they don’t take care of themselves, just like your disposal won’t be able to do its job if you don’t take care of it properly. Keep these do’s and don’ts in mind so your garbage disposal stays on top of its game.
- Turn It Off: Before you try to remove anything from it, make sure your disposal is powered off.
- Use Warm Water: Warm water will help break up clogs and push stuck food through the rest of your unit.
- Drop Some Ice Cubes In: Every so often, throw a few ice cubes down your disposal to clean it. You can also add some rock salt for a bigger effect.
- Run the Water: When you’re using your garbage disposal, run the cold water as you drop foods down it to prevent anything from getting stuck.
- Cut Up Large Foods: If you have large pieces of food or scraps, make sure to cut food up first to avoid clogging your unit.
- Never pour these foods down your garbage disposal:
- Grease/Oil: These will clog your disposal and prevent other food from getting through the unit.
- Hard Bones: These can damage the blades.
- Fibrous Foods: Items like celery and corn husks can jam the disposal motor.
- Never Use Bleach: Harsh chemicals can damage the disposal’s drain and pipes. Use borax to clean it instead.
- Never add anything non-biodegradable: Non-food items like glass, plastic, or even paper belong in the trash, not your disposal.
Your garbage disposal requires a good amount of professional care and attention if you want it to last as long as possible. At Ace Solves It All, we install and service kitchen garbage disposal systems throughout Orlando, FL. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at (407) 850-4900.